Turmeric, the bright yellow spice used throughout Asia for centuries, has in recent decades been embraced by the West, not just for its ability to satisfy our appetite for curry, but for its impressive list of health benefits. fabric dyeing, cosmetics, and traditional medicine in China and India. Turmeric and its powerful ingredient, curcumin, have a range of health benefits. This article will help you deeply understand the many amazing health benefits of turmeric and curcumin.
- 1. Turmeric is a natural anti-inflammatory and a powerful antioxidant
- 2. Curcumin leads to various improvements that can lower your risk of heart disease
- 3. Turmeric helps reduce the risk of cancer
- 4. Preventing and treating Type 2 Diabetes
- 5. Boosting Immunity
- 6. Turmeric is a great natural product for skincare
1. Turmeric is a natural anti-inflammatory and a powerful antioxidant
- Inflammation is a necessary process in the body, as it fights off harmful invaders and repairs damage caused by bacteria, viruses, and injuries. However, long-term inflammation has been implicated in most chronic conditions such as heart disease and cancer, so must be controlled. The curcumin in turmeric has proven, strong anti-inflammatory properties that block the action of inflammatory molecules in the body. Studies show positive effects of curcumin on people suffering from conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis and inflammatory bowel disease, amongst others.
- Curcumin has been shown to be a robust scavenger of oxygen free radicals, which are chemically active molecules that cause damage to the body’s cells. Free radical damage, along with inflammation, is a key driver of cardiovascular disease, so curcumin can play a part in preventing and managing heart disease. Antioxidants in turmeric may also reduce the risk of cataracts, glaucoma, and macular degeneration.
2. Curcumin leads to various improvements that can lower your risk of heart disease
Heart disease is the biggest killer in the world. It has been studied for many decades and researchers have learned a lot about why it happens. It turns out that heart disease is incredibly complicated and there are various things that contribute to it. Curcumin may help reverse many steps in the heart disease process. Perhaps the main benefit of curcumin when it comes to heart disease is improving the function of the endothelium, which is the lining of the blood vessels. It is well known that endothelial dysfunction is a major driver of heart disease and involves an inability of the endothelium to regulate blood pressure, blood clotting, and various other factors. Several studies suggest that curcumin leads to improvements in endothelial function but curcumin also reduces inflammation and oxidation which are also important in heart disease.
3. Turmeric helps reduce the risk of cancer
Among its many benefits, turmeric has been one of the natural remedies studied and has produced nearly miraculous results.
4. Preventing and treating Type 2 Diabetes
Because curcumin can help fight inflammation and keep blood sugar levels steady, it could be a useful tool to prevent or treat type 2 diabetes. One study followed 240 adults with prediabetes and found that taking a curcumin supplement over 9 months lowered their odds of developing diabetes. Research is ongoing, but a lot of the studies so far have been on animals, not people.
5. Boosting Immunity
You probably know that your immune system is responsible for protecting the body from the development of illness and disease.
Knowing that nutrients such as vitamins, minerals, and phytochemicals support the body’s immune system, researchers started delving into specific natural foods and spices that are especially good at maintaining, protecting, and boosting immunity. Turmeric has shown to be one of the best foods for this purpose. It provides the body with antioxidants; anti-inflammatory properties; and antiviral, antibacterial, and antimicrobial compounds (including curcumin). These proven health benefits of turmeric help to support the digestive system’s ability to function at its best and also support the immune system’s protective capabilities to keep illnesses and disease at bay. A simple addition of a small 1⁄2 teaspoon of turmeric to your daily diet can provide the body with these protective immunity-boosting benefits for greater health naturally
6. Turmeric is a great natural product for skincare
Turmeric helps keep your skin healthy in many ways.
- It keeps acne at bay by inhibiting the growth of pimple-causing bacteria and reducing the oil secretion by the sebaceous glands.
- The constant use of turmeric clears acne scars, which makes your skin flawless and glowing.
- Its antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties accelerate the healing of a cut and soothe skin irritation.
- Curcumin present in turmeric is an antioxidant that fights signs of aging like wrinkles and pigmentation by scavenging dangerous free radicals.
In conclusion, there are various amazing health benefits of turmeric and curcumin. I have just listed some of them. You can realize the great values of turmeric and curcumin. I hope that you can use them regularly to have a healthy body.